Friday, June 8, 2007

Set Our Hearts on Fire

June 1-5, 2007 I was traveling with 5 youth and another adult on a Mission trip. To read more about the trip itself, check out OurSaviourYouth.blogspot.com - the link is on the left-hand sidebar.

It was so invigorating and life-giving to be present at a youth event of this size and energy again. When we arrived on Friday night I felt my heart lift with the realization that I've missed being a part of events like this. Youth events and camp were my life-blood in Jr. High and High School. I would see camp friends for one week over the summer and a couple of times during the year at events like these. I always met new people and was re-acquainted with old friends. It felt great to be planting the seeds of similar experiences in the hearts and lives of the youth from Our Saviour.

It was challenging too. The work we did was at times frustrating, seemingly insignificant, redundant, and labor intensive. Our youth worked hard though, and were always willing to do what was asked of them. I hoped that they would meet new people, but as introverts that is sometimes challenging. I was particularly glad to hear all of their voices talking, laughing and teasing one another on the ride home - this was a marked difference from when we drove down to Augusta and I was at work trying to get their voices in action.


During the event I wrote the following prayer/reflection.

Gracious God,
Standing in prayer in the midst of so many of your children from diverse and distant places, yet speaking the same language, sharing common experiences and learning about you in the midst of community, I am once again and eternally in awe.

In the same way it is described in theater, that “the show must go on,” the love, prayer, preparation, study, hope and care that you inspire in your servants, your ministers, your baptized covenantal members, leads to the amazing creation and re-creation of community in your name. My heart is ablaze with the joy of what it is to stand in your midst in this place and to feel your presence amongst this generation of youth.

Jr. High is a scary and uncertain time. You can see the physical differences of these young people when so many are gathered and their budding and developing social networking skills and uncertainties.


“Who sees me? Will they like me? Am I good enough?”


The desires of their hearts are not far from the surface. Frustration, annoyance, boredom, anxiety, tears, laughter, defiance, they are all here and ready to be expressed at a moment’s notice. And they are valid feelings. I hope that each young person here discovers a place where who they are, and what they have to offer is upheld, loved, and shown as part of Your beautiful and beloved creation.


All these things, these moments, that I see and am thankful for, I offer up in the name of your son Jesus, whose love is for them to receive and to reflect to one another and the world. Amen.


Being a participant in the lives of young people as a caring and responsible adult is one of the greatest gifts that I have to give back in response to the gift of youth ministry that was given to me as a young person. I am honored and privileged to be present and working side by side with these young people and the family and community members who love them.

No comments: